Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

How would a father go about lowering his child support?

7/24/2013
Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin, Family Law Attorney
ANSWER:

One way is to apply to the Georgia Division of Child Support Services (DCSS) for a review of your existing child support order. BUT..... this may be risky. Here is what DCSS says:

-------> When you ask us (DCSS) to review your support order, DCSS will determine whether an Agency Recommendation will be made as to the amount of current support. The amount may go up, go down, or stay the same. Past due support is not modified. We may also make a recommendation for either or both parents to provide accident and sickness insurance.

-------> When reviewing and changing the support amount, we cannot address visitation and custody issues. You may be advised to talk to a private attorney about these issues. DCSS will provide you with a list of resources, if available in your area.

-------> Note: The DCSS attorney does not represent either parent, but you may seek the assistance of your own attorney, or you may represent yourself.

If you are the person requesting a review, you will have to pay a $100 non-refundable review application fee when the review is complete. Also, when a review is requested, it may take up to six months to complete the process.

A better procedure is to hire a private attorney and file a petitioner directly with the court seeking a support modification (downward adjustment). CLICK HERE for detailed instructions as to how to do this. And CLICK HERE for the forms that you will need.

Thank you and I wish you well.

Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin, Family Law Attorney
Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin, Family Law Attorney