How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We know a woman that had a baby and abandoned it at birth with

This answer was rated:

We know a woman that had a baby and abandoned it at birth with the grandmother and the grandmother doesn't want to take care of it or want anything to do with it...can we legally take possession of the baby and file for temp guardianship, then pursue adoption?

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

Where is the Father and how old is the baby please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There was no father named, and the baby is less than 4 weeks old


Well, the Grandmother does not have legal authority to put the baby up for adoption. But this does not mean that you cannot file for adoption.

Keep in mind, that once you do that and it becomes evident that the Mother is not around child protective services will get involved. And the grandmother may lose the baby to the system.

I suggest you may want to find the Mother - hire an investigator to find her, if need be and then begin the adoption process, once she knows that is what you want to do.
Samuel II and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions