Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Hi Again, can I take the kids with me to my business trip,

even though it will last...
Hi Again, can I take the kids with me to my business trip, even though it will last a week and longer than what I am normally entitled to according to the MSA?
7/22/2013

Thank you for your follow-up and thank you again for requesting me to assist you further.

Provided that your custodial agreement does not have some sort of a 'relocation clause' or limit (or requirements for consent for travel), you are free to take your children with you. This is permitted it you are traveling within th US and not overseas, as that would require consent from both parents.

As you are traveling for business, and traveling due to an emergency the other party created, you can indeed take the kids with you and hold them longer until you either return back to where you live, or she comes out to where you are going to be located and take the children back herself. This is a situation where the other party breached the terms--you therefore can make the best of it and modify terms until and if you are able to give the children back as otherwise scheduled. And as this was not due to your behavior but hers, she really cannot claim abduction or violation of terms since it was she who was unavailable to regularly take the children back under her care.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney