How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently went through a non contested divorce I had to do

This answer was rated:

I recently went through a non contested divorce I had to do what my husband wanted as he works for a police department and warned me not to do anything stupid we reside in Illinois which requires a six month separation period I was resideing in the house up to a week after the divorce when he kicked me out because he had me give him the home the date on the divorce papers states we were separated on 12/01/2013 as I was leaving for a weadding out of town when he made me file and I was not thinking straight but the judge signed it anyway. He showed up in court with his official uniform on driving his work vehicle to intimidate me furthur now that I am not residing in the home I am not afraid any longer is there anything I can do?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

When was you divorce decree finalized and what do you want to change?

Were you represented by an attorney when you signed the marital settlement agreement?

Are there any minor children between you and your ex-husband and did you have any marital assets?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It was finalized June 25, 2013, I do not want to give up my home I would rather sell it and he made me keep the 2010 Kia which 13, 000.00 dollars is owed on it his 2006 nissan 250Z is payed off as I payed it off the day of the divorce he made me go to the DMV and take my name off of it I had no legal representation, and we have no minor children. I also have to pay the IRS debt of over 2000.00 dollars which was incured by us both

Dear XXXXXa,

Thank you for your follow up.

Was the home in both yours and your husband's name and was it purchased during the marriage?

Were you directly physically threatened by your ex-husband or put under severe duress by your ex-husband in his efforts to intimidate you into signing the marital settlement agreement?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes the home is in both names and it was purchased during the marriage. Yes I was put under stress to follow his insturctions I was so upset I had a hard time filling out the papre work that is why I said I moved out on 12/01/2013 I tried to tell him I wanted a lawyer but he said it would not be a good idea I left everything in the home the furniture that I purchased and all

Dear XXXXXa,

Thank you for your follow up.

You can consult and retain a local attorney to file a Motion to Set Aside Final Judgment of Dissolution of Marriage and the Marital Settlement Agreement based on duress and intimidations by your ex-husband and you would have to describe in your motion as to how you were threatened, intimidated or put under duress by your ex-husband and how such acts have forced you to sign the marital settlement agreement against your free will.

Unfortunately, the time is of the essence and you would need to file your Motion as soon as possible, as the more time passes the least likely the court would grant your motion and would set aside either the final divorce decree or the marital settlement agreement.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you