How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28364
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the custodial parent of my 9 year old daughter her father

This answer was rated:

I am the custodial parent of my 9 year old daughter her father and I divorced in 2005 in the state of Ohio; my ex-husband has visitation rights. I relocated to Virginia in October of 2008. In August of 2008, I filed an intent to relocate form through the courts in Ohio and sent a certified copy to my ex, and it was not contested. The visitation schedule established with the divorce is no longer practical due to the distance and my daughter now being in school. I have been letting her spend 4-6 weeks of the summer with him, but we always get into arguments when I come to pick her back up from him. I'd like to re-establish our visitation schedule to minimize the arguments and the impact to our daughter. Would I need to go through the courts in Ohio where the divorce occurred or in Virginia; where my daughter has been an established resident for almost 5 years now? Thank you for your help!
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. In a situation like this, you would be able to proceed through the courts in Virginia, where you and your child have resided, for almost five years now. The reason being, is because Virginia is the home state where your daughter has lived for at least 6 months preceding commencement of the action and well as there being a significant connection (exists when a State has substantial evidence about a child as a result of the child’s significant connections to that State). As such, Virginia is where you could file.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
FamilyAnswer and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you