How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are my options when my ex wife does not follow the prearranged

This answer was rated:

What are my options when my ex wife does not follow the prearranged visitation schedule?

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Do you have any documentation or witnesses to prove she has not complied with the court's order? How has she violated it?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The schedule is what we agree to, there is not an official court order for the schedules we make. Because I denied a request to give up a Friday nite so she can have her ( our dtr) , she is refusing to take her saturday when i am scheduled to work.

I see. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

Without a court order of visitation, there is no viable method to enforce it through legal action, but you could retain an attorney or mediator and attempt to resolve your dispute with her through mediation.

The other option would normally involve filing a petition with the local court seeking an order of custody/visitation, so if your ex violates the order in the future, you can seek to have her held in contempt of court and even jailed until she does comply. The court's contempt power is the usual method for enforcing such agreement, but you must reduce it to a court order first I'm afraid.

Without that, there is little leverage to enforce such informal agreements, but mediation is often successful if both parties are willing to mediate the issues in dispute.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Tina and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.


Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.