How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LADY LAWYER Your Own Question
LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6536
Experience:  Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LADY LAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son had a underage girlfriend of which he had sex with and

This answer was rated:

My son had a underage girlfriend of which he had sex with and the woman became pregnant. My son was charged with sex with a minor (under 16 in NC). He is now required to be registered as a sex offender. There is doubt that he is the father of the child, but if he is, he wants to be a part of the child’s life. The mother lives at home and has not pursued child support. My son wants to know if the child is actually his. What is his rights, and what is the procedure of requesting a paternity test?

LADY LAWYER : Hello, Thanks for choosing! I look forward to helping you today. Please give me a moment to review your question and to answer you.
LADY LAWYER : So sorry this has happened to your son and your family. Sounds like the work of an over-zealous prosecutor.
LADY LAWYER : Your son simply needs to file a Petition for Custody, asking the court to grant him rights to see the child but also requesting in the petition that a paternity test be done.
LADY LAWYER : Your son can use the NC Custody Packet here:
LADY LAWYER : Now, please note that if he does this, it is likely that the mother will countersue for child support. She can always do that anyway so he should not be deterred from filing for custody if he wants to make sure the child is his and see the child, but I did just want you to be aware that this usually will happen.
LADY LAWYER : If you have any more questions about this, please don't hesitate to ask me--I am happy to keep helping you! I strive for excellent service and I hope your rating will reflect that; this is how I maintain my tenure on this site and how the site compensates me. However, if there is anything at all that I can do in order to ensure that you have received excellent service from me, please just let me know. Thank you!
LADY LAWYER : I see you're not in the chat right now so I have to step out and help other customers. Please just reply to me if you need any further help and I will come back ASAP.
LADY LAWYER : I am back and can see that you are typing to me.
LADY LAWYER : Happy to help with anything else you might need :)

Cost of this would be an issue for him, as he cannot find work with the charges against him. Would this be a long drawed (costly) out process for him. Of course he would have some family support.

LADY LAWYER : There is a filing fee for the petition, but since he can do everything himself without an attorney, no, it would not be costly at all. If you tell me the county you are in, I can look up the filing fee for you.

Henderson county NC

LADY LAWYER : Thanks. I will do that now...

If the child is not his, would he have any legal rights as to the charges against him?

LADY LAWYER : Looks like the cost would be between $50-$60 but Henderson also lets a person file for indigent status if they are not working or low income. He can just check the box for that on the petition I sent you.
LADY LAWYER : No, because it wasnt about the birth of the child but about the fact he had sex with a minor.

Great. That is much less than I expected.

LADY LAWYER : Now, if the only evidence they have that he had sex with a minor was the birth of "his" child, then he may have something to go on.
LADY LAWYER : Did he ever admit that he had sex with this girl? Did her parents turn him in? How did the state get involved?

To keep form risking a long prision sentence, he pleaded guilty and only recived 90 days and 30 months probation. I guess that is where it will stand.

LADY LAWYER : Gosh, so sorry to hear that happened to him. We live in a messed up world.

Everyones kid is a good kid, but he really is. Yes, he admitted to having sex with the girl. He just made a bad mistake. the girl was the one that pursued the sex and he thougt being honest was the best thing. I told him not always in the eyes of the judisical system.

LADY LAWYER : So true.

I will give him the information you provided and he will likely go with the custody petition. I thank you very much for your time and assistance.

LADY LAWYER : I would suggest that eventually, he apply for a pardon and hopefully, he can get this wiped from his record. May not be for another 10 years or so, but better than having it on there forever,
LADY LAWYER : You're most welcome. I hope I provided you with excellent service today!

Very true. Its so sad that all sex offender cases are lumped into one catigory. Thanks again

LADY LAWYER : My pleasure! Please note that even after you leave a rating, if you think of another question, I invite you to come back to this post any time and ask it of me.
LADY LAWYER : you just sign back on the site and click on this question under the "my questions" link
LADY LAWYER : You can always access any information here again by doing the same.
LADY LAWYER : Our session will be automatically saved when you leave your rating.
LADY LAWYER : Thanks again for using!
LADY LAWYER and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you