How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been married for 1 year with my spouse a total of two

This answer was rated:

I have been married for 1 year with my spouse a total of two years. We moved into a new home this past year and both are on the title. We are not getting along and ready to file divorce and I left to get away for a vacation with my son because the home environment was hostile. I come to find today while I am vacationing that he has changed the locks to the doors from the supposed advice of another legal counselor. Is this legal and what rights do I have to get back in my home when I have not even moved a thing. What is my options right now?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


How awful. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

It was not legal for your husband to lock you at of the house without a court order. Consider calling the police and requesting their immediate assistance . Explain that your husband locked you out of the house and that you would like them to be present when you reenter the house to avoid any potential disturbance of the peace. Have the locksmith on hand

Next you will want to retain legal counsel and petition the court for exclusive occupancy of the marital residence pending your dissolution of marriage

I would be glad to continue our conversation and respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Ellen and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1) I have owned my house for over 5 years prior to my marriage. He is not on my title. We recently purchased a home together last year and we are both are on the title. The downpayment came from the sale of his home which he sold to move to here. Is he entitled for any equity in my home for the year we were married and am I entitled to anything on the new house where we are both on title and I still reside.


2) Being married for 1 year he has his own company and I am a consultant on an hourly basis. We both make around the same income but he has a 401k, savings, medical, etc and I have nothing in place. Am I entitled to anything at all?


3) I feel he married me under false pretenses because of things he has said to me. I asked him why he is a different person from time we lived in my home until now the time we are in our new home. He has become very verbally abusive and emotionally abusive and said things such as; that before he let things slide when we lived my house and now it's time he has to put his foot down. Also I mentioned I felt he used me to get married and he said so what if I did. He told me last month he wanted a new wife and that he married me out of infatuation and not for me. Is there any legal actions I can take with pain & suffering & fraud.



Hello Jean,

Thank you very much for the "excellent service" rating on your first question

Thank you also for your new questions. However the site requires that new questions be posted on a new page. I would like to answer these questions, but under the circumstances my hands are tied. Please open new page for these new questions

I regret the inconvenience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just paid $72 for me to open a new window and reexplain?