How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Texas. My wife and I are living apart, but theres

This answer was rated:

I live in Texas. My wife and I are living apart, but there's been no "legal" or formal separation. I have our daughter 3 nights a week and she has her 4. When she is working, she makes about 3x as much as I do per month. Recently, she lost her job and now wants me to pay child support while she's living with another man (not that I suppose that matters legally). I do want to make sure my daughter is ok, and I'm inclined to give my wife what she's asking for just for that reason. However, she's threatened that if I don't give her what she wants, she will simply file with the OAG and I'll be legally obligated to pay. I would like to know if she is right about that, or if she's just making things up to get what she wants.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*


Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Both parents have a legal duty to support their children. In Texas, when parents share custody, support is determined according to the income of both parents. Therefore since your daughter is not living with you full-time, your wife may petition the court for child support.

I would be glad to continue our conversation and respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry, I should have rated this higher. Can I go back and fix my error?

Hi Rick,

I greatly appreciate your follow-up. You can rate again at this time.

Best regards,
Ellen and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you