How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37360
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my mentally ill wife is telling me that she is going to

This answer was rated:

If my mentally ill wife is telling me that she is going to have some one kill her and that she is going to leave this and that to the kids am I legally responsible to report this? We are currently separated and she's living god knows where. I think it's a ploy to try to get me to contact her. Currently I have an emergency protective order in place on her because of an assault.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
am I legally responsible to report this?
From a purely legal perspective, the answer is no, a person has no duty to take preventative actions to keep another adult from harming themselves.
But from a moral or ethical viewpoint, it might be a good idea to notify local police that she had made these threats and have them go by and do a status check on her. That way you don't have to contact her directly and if she needs help, the police can get her some.






If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.


I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My wife finally snapped and went into the local mental health services facility and asked to be institutionalized into a state facility. She was asked a range of questions even if she had thought about killing herself and she said YES. They did not take her in and gave her a brochure with a hotline number on it and pretty much sent her on her way. She is paranoid and delusional and me and her family do not know what to do with her. It is like there is no hope for the families of the mentally ill

It definitely seems that way, but it is up to you as to whether you notify the police if she is in a suicidal state. Having gone through that myself in my family, I completely understand your situation. My family member was diagnosed as an undifferentiated schizophreniac, which is apparently the worst you can get. He eventually took his own life after many trips to the state hospital where he would get stabilized on meds, then released, stop the meds, and deteriorate.
It is a very tough thing to deal with...but you can only try to help when you can tell that the person is in one of the bad swings...
Barrister and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions