How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118175
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2001 XXXXXX and I (XXXXXXX) were

This answer was rated:

In 2001 XXXX. and I (XXXXXX) were married, he had legal custody of his biological son XXXXXXX, and step daughter XXXXX. His ex-wife XXXXXXX, was to pay child support, at one time there was even a bench warrant for her, because she owed over $38,000.00, well on April 10, 2013, my husband passed away, there was no will, and Adam at the time was in treatment for drug abuse. Jenny has came to Casper Wyo and took him out, and took him to Tx. I all these years along with Richard have kept medical insurance on these children, and paid all the bills for over 13 years. When my husband died Jenny says she no longer owes this money, which I feel is owed to me. What can I do.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

When Richard died, she owed the money to his ESTATE, so you need to file to open probate and you need to then get named as executor/administrator of the estate and then as administrator you can sue her on behalf of the estate to recover the money that she owed Richard at the time of his death.

It is NOT TRUE that she no longer owes child support arrears because he died. She might not owe future support, but she DOES OWE the arrears and the estate has to be the one to sue her for those and the money would then be distributed to the heirs of the estate, which would be you and his child.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you