How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31733
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im trying to see my kids and my ex wont allow it theres no

This answer was rated:

Im trying to see my kids and my ex wont allow it theres no custody papers and im here in ohio please help
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney. Thanks for your question, but I'm sorry for your troubles with this. I'll be glad to assist.

IF there is no custody or visitation order in place, then you have just as much right to see your children as the mother. ONLY a court order can restrict or limit those rights. That said, the problem you run into is if you go to the mother's home without permission, you could be charged with trespassing, and if things get heated, you are putting yourself into a situation where a domestic violence charge could be filed. So, it's really not a good idea to go over un-announced EVEN THOUGH you have as much right to the child as the mother.

As for what to do, you can file an emergency petition with the local court where the children live to establish a temporary visitation order that should allow you to exercise visitation with the children ASAP. Then, the court can establish a visitation/custody order later - - when there's time to consider the facts - including distance between the parents.

However, in order to get immediate relief to see the children, you're going to need to file an emergency petition for visitation.

I hope this answers your question, but if you need something further, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks.
Roger and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your advice im not from around here and dont know how the courts work around here I am very interested in seeing if you would take my case asap please contact me with more info 909 856 5507 phil thank you

Hi Phil. Unfortunately, we're not allowed to take on clients through this site. HOWEVER, I can help you locate an attorney to assist.

The best resource is to visit and click on "Find a Lawyer or Law Firm". Then enter the location and type of lawyer you need, and it will give you a list of those attorneys in your area. If you can contact an attorney tomorrow, you should be able to get something filed pretty quickly.

PLEASE let me know if you need anything else.

Related Family Law Questions