Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

hello my wife just recently asked for a devorce. She made about

47,000 a year while I...
hello my wife just recently asked for a devorce. She made about 47,000 a year while I only made about 20,000 a year for the first 2 years of our marriage cause i was in school. Now will she get more than 50% of our assets including our house cause she made more per year than me?
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/14/2013
Tina, Lawyer

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

How long have you been married? Who informed you that your wife would receive a greater division of marital property because she earned more income?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

We have been married for 3 years as of July 10th, I read online for wisconsin divorce laws that the equal sharing of assets can be changed due to income

Hello again, Jacob, and thank you for providing this additional information.

There are a number of factors which a court can consider in dividing marital property, including the contributions to the marriage by each spouse, but each spouse's needs can be considered as well as each spouse's contributions, so it is not necessarily the case that the spouse who earned more receives a greater division of the property.

In fact, for a marriage of only 3 years duration, the spouses will usually agree on a fair distribution of property rather than pursuing a trial since that can be costly, and the most common division, even where the spouses do not earn the same amount annually is a 50/50 split.

Here is a link which sets out the factors a court can consider in dividing marital property, but I would typically seek a 50/50 division under the circumstances you describe:

http://www.divorcesupport.com/divorce/Wisconsin-Property-Division-Factors-800.html

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Tina, Lawyer

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.

Tina, Lawyer