Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My ex-boyfriend and I have a 9-year-old son together and we

have each since married other...
My ex-boyfriend and I have a 9-year-old son together and we have each since married other people. Things are quite volatile between my son's stepmother and myself because (from my perspective) she has been working to try and alienate me from my son over the last couple of years. My husband and I recently learned that my son's stepmother has been reaching out to my husband's 15-year-old daughter (my step-daughter). We are not 100% sure what all is being said or who initiated this contact, but we now know that they have been contacting each other via Facebook and met up to spend time together one time without our knowledge or consent. This is not the first time that written and/or verbal communication has happened between the two, and after the first time we explained to my step-daughter that it was not appropriate for her to be speaking with this woman. The disciplining of my step-daughter's disobedience aside, is there anything my husband or I can do to legally prevent this woman from contacting or speaking with my step-daughter? This woman has absolutely no business conversing with her on any level and, given the negative nature of our relationship with this woman, we are concerned that she has ulterior motives. We don't know what to do.
7/13/2013
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation

Can you please tell me who has the legal guardianship of your 15 year old stepdaughter?

What is the nature of the communications / relationship between your ex-boyfriend's wife and your stepdaughter?

My husband is the primary conservator for his daughter but shares custody with his ex-wife. My step-daughter's primary residence is with my husband and me.

We are still trying to determine the exact nature of the communications that happened between my ex-boyfriend's wife and my step-daughter. From what we have been able to determine so far, it appears that she was attempting to poke around for information that could be used against me if they decided to request a custody modification with my son, but I don't know that it could be proved as a fact. What we have found so far appear to be more subtle manipulations to get a hormonal teenage girl to complain about her life... if that makes any sense.

Dear Hannah,

Thank you for your follow up.

In order to pursue some type of legal action against your ex-boyfriend's wife, you would have to document any improper contact that she is attempting to establish with your stepdaughter and your husband would have to send a written cease and decease letter to the ex's wife and demand for her to stop contact with his minor daughter.

If the ex's wife continue her improper actions you husband would be able to seek legal action against the ex's wife which could range from a restraining order to criminal charges of interfering with parental custody if the ex's wife is attempting to alienate your stepdaughter from your husband or interfere with your husband's custody of his daughter.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any questions.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Dear Hannah,

Do you have any related follow up questions for me?

Hi Alex,

No, I don't have any follow-up questions, thank you. I have been attempting to release payment and rate your response; however, both I and customer support have had trouble doing so because of an apparent glitch in my account. I have been assured the issue has been escalated and should be completed by a Supervisor within 24 hours. I apologize for the delay - I promise I've been trying to complete the transaction.

I hope you had a great weekend.

Dear Hannah,

Thank you for your follow up and an update.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you do have any follow up or new questions for me.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law