Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can a single parent who shares caring for a child with the

other parent, non-cohabitating, get a...
Can a single parent who shares caring for a child with the other parent, non-cohabitating, get a court approved/appointed third party person to transport the child. The father picks up the child every day for time with him and does not want to interact with the mother but wants a court ordered/approved person to do this.
7/9/2013
Ellen, Lawyer
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Yes that is possible. You would need to petition the court for modification to your current parenting plan and request that the court appoint a neutral 3rd party for the exchange. The court would approve the modification if you can convince the court that it is in your child's best interests to do so

I would be glad to respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Ellen, Lawyer

There is now no formal/court approved parenting plan; so, do the father and mother need to each have attorneys negotiate a plan for them and then the father petition the court for the third party transporter or can all this be done and be binding with a mediator?

Since you do not have a court approved parenting plan, you can negotiate with the other parent to have a neutral third-party facilitate the exchange in the initial plan. A mediator can be used and if an agreement is reached the plan can be submitted to the court for approval without an attorney
Ellen, Lawyer