Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

In Tennessee, when parents have joint legal & physical custody

(50/50 - 182.5 days each)...
In Tennessee, when parents have joint legal & physical custody (50/50 - 182.5 days each), 1 parent is designated as the primary parent (hate that provision), and both parents live in different school districts (6 miles from each other), where can the child attend school? Only in the district of the primary parent or can they choose which of the 2 school districts they can attend?
7/9/2013
Ellen, Lawyer

FiveStarLaw :

*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

FiveStarLaw :

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

FiveStarLaw :

Unless the parenting plan states otherwise, the child would attend school in the district where they primary parent resides. That said, the parents may choose otherwise by agreement

I am not certain that you were able to read my response. Please let me know whether you have any follow-up questions or would otherwise like to continue our conversation

So if the parents agree for the child to attend the alternate residential parent's school district, it is allowed by the state?

Yes that is correct since the child resides equal amount of time in both households
Ellen, Lawyer

Thank you very much for the assistance.

It has been my pleasure to work with you

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future by requesting me directly.
Ellen, Lawyer