How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex is withholding visitation of my child after we previously

This answer was rated:

My ex is withholding visitation of my child after we previously agreed on it and I got plane tickets. He lives in PA, and I live in MA. I have five or six questions about what my options are and what might happen regarding divorce, custody, visitation, living conditions for my child, and support.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Is there a present child custody/visitation order in place?

2. Please state each question you expect answered. I am unable to determine whether I can assist you until I know what you need to know. As you may not be aware, the Rules of JustAnswer specify that each customer ask one question in each question thread. For new questions, the customer is asked to open a new question thread. If the questions are distinctly related, that is okay. But if they are new and different, they must be places in new question threads.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well, we have no current agreement nor are we currently divorced. My son goes to school from his father (and grandparents) home. He told me he was moving back here shortly after I did, while we were separated and now its been almost two years. He was letting him visit and agreed to a six week visit this summer, I got plane tickets for them both and then he reneged. I will be filing for divorce and for joint custody so that I may have visitation. Normally in this situation I would also start paying child support. Right now, I am a homemaker. Whenever I do get legally divorced, I may get remarried. At that point, assuming I am a homemaker, can my ex go after my new husband for child support?

Good afternoon Sarah,

Your new husband and his income are not liable for and child support that the court might order you to pay. Child support is an individual debt, and your new husband's income is entirely safe.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,


LawTalk and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Sarah. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Related Family Law Questions