How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been paying child suport. I recently had a job reassignment

This answer was rated:

I have been paying child suport. I recently had a job reassignment with a pay cut of $30,000. I have a court date to have a payment reduction for my monthly support. Due to the financial situation, I am having to move in with a family member to save money. Will that affect my spousal/child support, if my rent is now lower? I am not moving until next month, which will be after the court date. Do I need to disclose my living situation?

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your child support and spousal support rely almost exclusively on your income, and not on the amount that you pay for rent.

And the stay with the relatives is a temporary measure until you can get back on your feet and afford a place to stay.

If anything, the argument that you are taking so little home now that with the present support level you are stuck having to move in with your family---that is a basis to decrease support, not increase it.

As the move is not until next month---and anything could change, regardless of your plans, there is absolutely no obligation to mention it, and if asked about it, say that you are considering having to do something like that if your support continues as it is.

Based on your statement of facts, you appear to have a solid financial justification to decrease the support you are ordered to pay.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,


LawTalk and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.