How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my fiance left me and ran off to california, leaving me with

This answer was rated:

my fiance left me and ran off to california, leaving me with our son at my parents house in Seattle WA. we lost our apartment, shes losing her car for not making payments. I'm now stuck in Seattle with my parents. She then decided she was going to come get the baby and move to California with him. i told her no, that's not ok.
so now,shes now going back to idaho to get a part time job and i've been told that if i don't go back to idaho i can be charged with kidnapping. what can i do to protect myself?

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Is your name on the child's birth certificate? You wish to remain in Seattle with the child?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, my name is XXXXX XXXXX childs birth certificate.

yes, I do wish to remain in Seattle.

Hello again, Alex, and thank you for clarifying that for me.

WA law does not typically recognize an unmarried father's parental rights until they have been established by court order, so you do need to get a petition for parental rights filed as quickly as possible.

Under the circumstances you have described, a prosecutor would not typically pursue kidnapping charges against you since the mother left the child in your care, but you could be forced to return custody of your child to the mother until you can get an order of custody.

It would be best to retain a local family law attorney and file an ex parte petition for custody of the child since it appears the mother is unstable and may attempt to pursue kidnapping charges against you or retake custody of the child.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Tina and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.


Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.