How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend of 11 years attempted suicide and he called for

This answer was rated:

My boyfriend of 11 years attempted suicide and he called for me to save his life. His family allowed me to see him in the ICU up until he was transferred to psych. I believe that they are intentionally keeping him from seeing me. We share a residence together also with a shared leasing agreement, so as much as they would like to keep me from seeing him, how do I know that these are in fact his direct wishes?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Is your boyfriend curently involuntarily comitted to a psychiatric ward
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, but he is allowed visitation. They at first told me this was family only but I had spoken to the psychiatric units advocate prior to his move and they said I would be allowed to visit. However his family then said it was family only and when I asserted myself and stated I was going to go to the hospital myself to verify this information that then said he simply doesn't want to see me. I can accept that for a full recovery but again we have had a relationship for so long and he had asked to see me everyday that there would be such a sudden change to that.


Dear Lindsay,

Generally, when someone is comitted involuntarily to a psychiatric ward, it is up to the attending psychiatrist as to whom the patient is permitted to visit with or communicate with and not up to the family members.

Does the family had any type of Power of Attorney or Legal Guardianship over your boyfriend?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I wouldn't be able to know from the psychiatrist as they have only been in contact with his family regarding who he can and can't see. I no longer have access to his care updates because his parents changed the password XXXXX obtain this information.


The family doesn't have any legal rights over his care.

Dear Lindsay,

Unfortunately this is a tough situation and unless you are married your your boyfriend or have some type of durable POA from him or Legal Guardianship, under the law you are considered "perfect stranger" and not a member of the family or someone with any legal rights when it comes to visitation or disclosure of any medical records of someone who is being treated involuntarily in the psychiatric ward.

So unfortunately, there is not much that can be done, until your boyfriend gets better and is able to make his own decistion or gets released from being involuntarily held in the psych ward.

You can rest assured, that if your boyfriend does request visitation or phone call to you, his attending psychiatrist will review such request and will make a decision whether it would be appropriate at the current stage of his treatment.

I am sorry that you are in this unfortunate situation and I do wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.
Alex J. Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you