How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27594
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been married 8 yrs going thru divorce. She has 2 children

This answer was rated:

I have been married 8 yrs going thru divorce. She has 2 children by previous marriages. Do I have a financial obligation to her or her children?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. What State do you reside in? Also, did you ever adopt these children?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Thank you for the additional information. In Illinois, a court will consider the following relevant factors, when deciding to award her support, after the divorce:

both spouses’ income and property, including marital property, awarded to both spouses and any non-marital property awarded to the spouse requesting alimony

the financial needs of each spouse

the present and future earning capacity of each spouse
any damage to the earning capacity of the spouse requesting alimony due to time spent on domestic duties (such as childcare), or a decision to delay or give up education, training, employment, or career opportunities because of the marriage

the time it will take the spouse seeking alimony to obtain the education, training, and employment necessary to become self-supporting (if the requesting spouse is caring for children, however, the judge may find it inappropriate for that spouse to work)

the standard of living established during the marriage

the length of the marriage

the age and the physical and emotional condition of both spouses

the tax consequences of the property division for each spouse’s economic circumstances

whether the spouse requesting alimony made significant contributions to the other spouse’s education, training, or career

any valid agreement of the parties, and

any other factor that the court believes is fair and equitable.

As far as any support for her children, you would not have to pay any child support. That obligation belongs to the biological father and if she wants it, she needs to go after him.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
FamilyAnswer and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions