How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16721
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiancee has left me and refuses to return the engagement

This answer was rated:

My fiancee has left me and refuses to return the engagement ring I can no longer afford to make payments on. Is there any way I can legally request it back?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

An engagement ring is considered to be a gift in aniticipation of marriage and does not become a final gift, until marriage takes place.

If your fiancee is refusing to return your engagement ring, then you can file a lawsuit in the local court where your fiancee is currently residing for the return of the ring or the value of the ring.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.
Alex J. Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Does it matter that she moved back to Austin Texas and I still reside in Gretna Virginia?

Dear Austin,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, you would have to sue your former fiancee in the court that is local to where your ex-fiancee currently resides, as only that court would have personal jurisdiction over your former fiancee.

I wish you the best of luck!