How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16627
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, My wife and I are missionaries in Central America and a friend has offered to host

This answer was rated:

My wife and I are missionaries in Central America and a friend has offered to host our 16 year old son so he can attend high school in Florida. What papers/forms will we need to fill out in order to make this happen?
Hello. My name isXXXXX am a Florida licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.

Is your son a US citizen?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, he is a legal American Citizen born in Florida. What we are hoping for is to get everything done without travelling there ourselves.

Thank you for your follow up.

In order for your son to be able to live with your friends and to attend local High School in Florida, you would have to file a Petition for Temporary Legal Guardianship with the local family court where your son will be residing with your friend and to ask the court in your petition to award Temporary Legal Guardianship of your son to this friend.

This process can take 30-60 days or longer and it would be a good idea to consult and retain local family law attorney to help you file your petition and to represent you in court, as there are no standard forms to file and you might be able to notarize all the documents at the US consulate in the country where you are currently staying and also in some cases if you are represented by a local Florida attorney, the judge might waive your physical appearance for the court hearing related to establishing temporary legal guardianship for your son.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have anyr related follow up questions.

Alex J. Esq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is it not possible to simply do a Power of Attorney for Medical/School Decision Making and have that notarized? While I was awaiting your answer, my wife was googling the subject on her computer and she wants to know if that will also work.

Thank you for your follow up.

NO. POA would not be valid when it comes to the child custody / decisions related to minor child health, education and well being and also in order for your friend in Florida to enroll your son to the local High School, he would have to present the school with a valid court ordered Temporary Legal Guardianship.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would it be necessary for the Florida attorney to be present at the Embassy in this country when we do this? Where can we find a good lawyer to consult with/retain for this purpose?

Related Family Law Questions