How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102513
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ely, If my ex/estranged comes to pick up the children and

This answer was rated:


If my ex/estranged comes to pick up the children and she does not have the right car seats for the children to be safe, do i have to let them go?
currently she has a booster with no back for a 44lb 6yr old (42inches) and no booster or car seat for an 8yr old (63lbs) and 51.2 inches. TSDPS and AAP both say that the have to be at least 60lbs for no back and 57 inches for no booster. As stated above neither of these apply to my children.
So do I have to let them go even if it is unsafe/illegal?
Hello friend. I hope you are well and happy Fourth.

Do the temporary orders state anything about the car seat at all, or, are they silent on the matter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The current orders are completely silent on the matter. the mediated orders we are planning will be specific, but for now, nothing is written.

Thank you.

In this case, I am afraid that you cannot deny transfer of custody simply based on this. Custody may be withheld despite order only if there is reasonable apprehension of immediate harm to the child. This is negligent, but not "immediately dangerous" per se. However, you have the right to file to amend the temporary orders to include the demand that she employs a child's chair that is suitable for her age and size.
Ely and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you