How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16623
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Greetings, may I seek advice on divorce please. My situation

This answer was rated:

Greetings, may I seek advice on divorce please. My situation is somewhat complicated. I live & work in the Middle East and am a New Zealand passport holder. My husband and I were married in Houston on August 10, 2012. Prior to, we were dating in Saudi Arabia for 8 years. Last year I transferred funds to him for a car and furniture totalling $50,000 at his request. My husband retired from the Middle East to Houston. I flew back every 3-4 months to visit and on the last visit to Houston he told me things had changed and when I returned to the Middle East he emailed to tell me it was over. Before this surprise news, I was planning to return to live in Houston August this year 2013, apply for US residency, I sold my furniture, rehomed my cat, sold property in Australia, work was expecting me to leave and so on. Thank you for your time. Karen
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

We are not permitted to provide customers with any type of legal advice, as such can only be obtained from your local attorney, however I can provide you with a general ander to your legal question.

Can you please tell me what is your specific legal question for me today?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Alex, is it recommended to phone my husband in the first instance to discuss, try for an amicable and hopefully uncontested divorce?


Thank you for your follow up.

Can you please tell me if the $50,000 that you wired to your husband would be the only personal assets that would be in dispute?

Are there any other marital assets involved?

Do you have any minor children with your husband?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Alex, thankfully there are no minor children involved. He has two adult children from a previous marriage. In addition to the $50,000 I also wired him $8,500 since we were married last August. Regarding other marital assets, there are only small things that I contributed like kitchenware, bedding. etc.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Alex: I should point out that the $50,000 was wired to my husband prior to being married.


Thank you for your follow up.

While you can try to reach out to your husband via telephone, email, skype, etc...and try to negotiate an amicable uncontested divorce and also for him to return any funds that belong to you, it would appear based on limited facts about your husband's latest actions, that you have described, that the likelihood of amicable or peaceful divorce would not be likely, unless you were willing to abandon the money that you gave to your husband for your joint marital needs.

I would suggest that you do consult with a local Texas divorce attorney, before reaching out to your husband, so this way you would clearly know what your rights are in your upcoming divorce and what it would cost you (approximatelly) if you did have to retain a local divorce attorney.

So if you do decide to reach out to your husband and turns out to be completely unreasonable and you are unable to negotiate an amicable resolution of this unfortunate situation and an uncontested divorce, then the next step would be to consult and retain local divorce attoreny in Houston, Texas to help you with the divorce and to make sure that your legal rights and interests are properly protected in the upcoming divorce.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Your advice echos what I was thinking to do. In the first instance, I will enquire about my rights and the cost to retain a divorce attorney in Houston as there are no US lawyers available in Saudi Arabia. Thank you Alex. Happy 4th July


Happy the 4th of July to you too!

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you.


Please click on the "excellent service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.