Amber E.
Amber E., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Experienced practitioner in family law, including divorce, custody, and domestic violence cases.
17831645

I was married in North Carolina and currently live in PA. Do

I was married in North Carolina and currently live in PA. Do I have to file for Divorce in North Carolina or can I use a lawyer in PA?
Q. I was married in North Carolina and currently live in PA. Do I have to file for Divorce in North Carolina or can I use a lawyer in PA?

An individual can file for divorce wherever they reside. In the case of PA, the law under 23 Pa.C.S.A. § 3104(b) provides that a person wishing to file in their state must have been living there for at least six months. I have provided the web address to the state's domestic relations laws for your review below, see Part IV Divorce.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/23/23.HTM

Q. I was physically abused and forced physically from the matrimonial home. I do not want him to know where i live curently

Just remember to tell your lawyer this so that he or she can take whatever precautions are available to protect your address.