How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28356
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a father relinquish parental rights when he pays child

This answer was rated:

Can a father relinquish parental rights when he pays child support but is denied communication and visitation if no adoption request has been made?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. Is there a court order in place allowing and ordering visitation and communication with the child? Also, does the father want to give up his parental rights or are you asking if the denied communication and visitation would terminate them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The support orders were set up in Alaska at time of divorce. I lived in Arkansas when things became final. Visitation was set by them that I had to visit in state she resides in, but she was not supposed to remove child from state without my knowledge which she has done several times.

Robert, thank you for the additional information. If she moved out of State and there was a court order in place restricting her relocation, she could be held in contempt of court and you do have a legal right to proceed and bring her before the Judge. You have rights as the father and she can not legally take those away. She did so by moving and would have needed either your consent or permission from the Judge. If neither was obtained, she violated the court order and would need to appear before the Judge, to explain why she failed to comply. A father can give up their legal rights to a child but it does not typically remove their obligation to pay child support, unless the child is adopted. Moreover, only a Judge can take those rights away, so based on the facts that was described above, it does not appear your action were even voluntarily and were a result of what she has done and prevented you from doing.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
FamilyAnswer and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you