How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 855
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in Texas and my spouse in in debt for child support

This answer was rated:

We live in Texas and my spouse in in debt for child support for children that are now 22 & 23 years old. Will he owe this for the rest of his life? We are low income and will never be able to repay that. As a result of non payment he has a constant warrant for his arrest and that prevents him from getting jobs. When his children have needs we happily help them in any way we can even if that means we are without necessities. Can anything be done or do we have to continue on like this?
Good afternoon:

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, unless the mother of the children waives her rights to receive that back child support, it will follow him. Texas will continue to collect on her behalf.

Additionally, even if she waives her rights, if the children were ever on state assistance (CHIPS, etc), he may have an outstanding debt with the State of Texas.

Texas is not a very friendly state for persons who owe child support, as the interest charged on support is 6% and this continues to accrue as long as there is debt.
originallawyer and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions