How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Referee asked both parties last hearing whether we agree to

This answer was rated:

Referee asked both parties last hearing whether we agree to the case being heard by her instead of a judge. I am pro se. Although I said yes at the time, I thought that she was referring to the family offense petition I had filed. Can I still change my agreement and ask for a judge to hear the case?

texlawyer :

Good afternoon. I'll be assisting you with your question.

texlawyer :

Do you know if the referee is appointed to "hear and report" or to "hear and determine?"

texlawyer :

Also, has the judge issued the order to appoint the referee yet?


I don't have any knowledge of any judge having been involved with anything in this case that has been ongoing for the past year


i believe she said that it was going to be that she would make the decision


just like a judge


but that we can appeal if we don't like the decision

texlawyer :

I'm going to opt out and allow another expert to assist you.



Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Once you have made the selection of the referee, in order to withdraw your consent you will have to show good cause. Generally, with a pro se litigant who does not know what is going on, mistake over what they thought the referee would decide would be good cause to file a motion to rescind the consent to the referee. The proof of good cause is the only way they will allow you to withdraw your consent.

The referee usually does end up faster and cheaper, just in case you do not realize. Also, using the referee gives you another opportunity to go to court to appeal instead of having to go to the appeals division if you go through a judge and do not like the judge's ruling.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Are you saying that appealing the decision is easier with a referee? Given that the referee is biased toward the mother and does not like me at all because I keep interrupting, would you recommend to continue with the referee or to go with the judge?

I am not saying that it is "easier" per se, I am saying it is certainly cheaper to appeal from the referee to the lower court than having to take an appeal to the appeals division as you would if you start out in the family/supreme court civil division without a referee first.

There is no guarantee the judge is going to treat you any differently than the referee is doing now. So if you remove your consent to the referee and then go to the court and the judge treats you the same, then you are faced with the expense of going to the appeals division. However, if you get yourself a copy of the rules of procedure and follow them with the referee you can always go to the supreme/family court and argue the referee's decision without having to go straight to the appeals division.

I cannot tell you what I recommend because I do not know why you are interrupting the referee and if you are correct or if you are not following the rules of civil procedure as I am not able to review the case itself from here.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions