How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need real proof of the Texas loophole that a unanticipated

Customer Question

I need real proof of the Texas loophole that a unanticipated 17 year old about to be 18 on 10-12-2012 can move out and sign up for school with out any legal trouble. Side note if so will be moving in with boyfriend from lumberton tx to Pasadena tx wich is 19 about to be 20 in December that lives with his mom and brother
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

HERE is the link for the Texas Code that states a minor who is at least 17 years old may Petition the court for an Emancipation

Now, with that being said, if a minor aged 17 leaves home they will not be treated as a Run away. However, under 25.06 the Texas Code does provide for the criminal charge of Harboring a Run Away and so the parents of the boyfriend could be criminally charged, unless there is a Court Ordered Emancipation

I suggest that the minor may want to go to the Clerk of the Court and follow the Code that I provided in the first link and file for the Emancipation.

That would also be the only way the minor would be able to enroll in school etc on their own.

The minor can file this on their own. They do not need their parents to do it

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I already have information about getting an emancipation but that's not the way we wanted to go but thank you for your time but so far I am no happy with the results because no new information was brought forth but thank you for your time