Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My hubby and his ex have been in court since 2007 dealing with

My hubby and his ex have been in court since 2007 dealing with the same nonsense. Recently he lost his job so the ex has continued the case since last year. We just received noticed that it has been continued to 1/2014 and that will be the "Final Continuance". What does that mean and what would you say is the undertone of this type of message?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your husband's situation. I understand that this cannot be easy on either of you by any means.

We just received noticed that it has been continued to 1/2014 and that will be the "Final Continuance".

This means that the next hearing was simply reset or "moved" to to 1/2014. In other words, it was set for earlier, but upon a motion by either him (or his ex), it was reset for later - January 2014. This is called a "continuance" and happens frequently in Court.

What does that mean...

See above, please.

...and what would you say is the undertone of this type of message?

I would say that this means that the Court will not be providing any more continuances and that the parties have to make it to the 1/2014 hearing and can ask for no more resets, i.e. the matter will be heard and finalized then and there. The Courts strive to finish a case within a reasonable time. So if she asks for another continuance, she may be denied.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.