How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a person be pro she in a custody case for kids or are they

This answer was rated:

Can a person be pro she in a custody case for kids or are they required to have a lawyer?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

A person can represent themselves and seek custody, that is not a violation. But if a person is trying to represent the children, as that is a third party, it would require someone who has a law degree to do so. Otherwise representing a child would be potentially "Unauthorized Practice of Law" (UPL) which can be a misdemeanor or a felony depending on jurisdiction. A person can also self-represent, but the moment that person tries to represent someone else, it is no longer 'pro se'.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was told that specifically in Kentucky a person can not represent them self pro she to get custody of her kids legally assigned to her.


A person, such as a parent, can file for custody on her own. The court will assign Guardian Ad Litem attorneys to the children if they see the parent who is filing to not have the best interest of the children in mind but her own. Otherwise the courts would not get involved. My apologies on what you were told but that does not appear correct--an adult can always self represent and file on their own behalf.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions