How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118115
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am self representing. The referee seems to only talk to

This answer was rated:

I am self representing. The referee seems to only talk to opposing counsel and child's attorney. When she speaks, she tells me not to interrupt. I never know when I can respond to the multiple various allegations made during their discussions. The referee is getting frustrated with my attempts to intervene. Please help.
Thank you for your question and for asking for me. I look forward to working with you.

Unfortunately, courts and referees and mediators seem to treat pro se litigants like this all of the time. If you have not had a chance to present your side of the story in these matters, your only recourse is filing an objection to the proceeding before the referee and argue that you are being denied your due process rights under the 4th and 14th amendments in that you are not being allowed to present your case or side of the story. You file this with the court and the court will set a hearing and you can present your issues before the judge.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I plan on asking the court next time, "Madam Referee, from now on I will only speak when you ask me to give my side to a given issue being discussed. I will then go home and count in the transcription of the conference the number of words I am allowed to speak compared to opposing counsel and we will then see how fairly these conferences are being conducted."


Is this too harsh?

You should not confront the referee with that type of statement. I know you are frustrated, but that statement will make matters worse. What you should say is, "Madame Referee, I would simply move that I be granted my Constitutional right to meaningful due process, which means a meaningful opportunity to be heard by the court and to present my evidence and to also confront my accuser and offer my proof to oppose what they are claiming." Say nothing more, if she does not allow it, then you have set yourself up for an appeal if she denies your request.
Law Educator, Esq. and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you