Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

my daughter and her fiancé reside in CA (since 2009), but are

getting married in Indiana. Do...
my daughter and her fiancé reside in CA (since 2009), but are getting married in Indiana. Do they need to get an IN marriage license or can they get one in CA if they are married in IN?
6/28/2013
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Customer:

Hi

Brandon M. :

Thank you for your question. When a couple marries, they need to get a license from the jurisdiction where they are actually marrying. This means that if a couple is marrying in Indiana, they need to get their license in Indiana.

Customer:

what if they want there marriage license to be from CA?

Customer:

How long do they have to get married after they apply for a marriage license in IN?

Brandon M. :

California will provide a marriage license only for those marriages officiated in California. It's certainly an option for a couple to have two ceremonies... they could have a ceremony in Indiana and a separate, low-key ceremony in California to make things official, but the license must be awarded in the state where the marriage is actually officiated.

Customer:

Is it 60 days from the time they apply for a license?

Customer:

So- they will be in IN in August- but if they applied at the last possible moment- it's still 85 days before their marriage in October. Can they do any of it on line?

Brandon M. :

I do apologize... unfortunately, I'm getting jumbled up with the response time. Let's address the questions one at a time :-) I do promise to get to all of your questions...

Brandon M. :

So basically, they're first wanting to know for how long the license is valid. The answer is 60 days. That is the case in every county in the state of Indiana.

Brandon M. :

You mentioned that they will be in Indiana in August and then again in October for the wedding itself. There is no wait period in Indiana to get a license. Are they not arriving in the state until the day of the marriage?

Customer:

so- they won't be able to make it back later in Sept. because it's $1000.00 a pop for flight to and from CA. So basically what you are saying is- they won't be officially married in IN if it's over 60 days since they applied for a license?

Customer:

So they can apply for the license in Oct when they come in for the wedding?

Brandon M. :

There is no wait period, so is there any mechanical reason that they would be unable to apply in October when they come for the wedding?

Brandon M. :

Indiana does require the couple to both appear in person to apply for the license, but they could hypothetically apply and receive it the same day if necessary.

Brandon M. :

(Although, I never recommend waiting until the last minute if possible--you never know if something could go wrong, like the car breaking down on the way to the clerk's office).

Customer:

No- they should have a day or 2 to get that done. There is no blood test required either- right?

Brandon M. :

Indiana does not require a blood test to issue a marriage license.

Customer:

Well- that would be my daughter's way of doing things...last minute! so fitting!

Brandon M. :

Make sure she contacts the clerk's office for hours and days of operation. Also, they should be able to tell her what documentation she needs.

Customer:

Ok- that's good to know - I will pass on the info! Thanks!

Brandon M. :

Naturally, a couple will want their marriage to be legalized the day of the ceremony, but if your daughter blows it, she can always have the ceremony as scheduled and then make it official with the state later (although, who would want to get their marriage started off on that foot?) :-)

Brandon M. :

My pleasure. Did you have any other question?

Customer:

No- think that covers it!

Brandon M. :

Great. I hope that I was able to explain the law to you in helpful way.

Brandon M. :

Best of luck to the new couple.

Customer:

thanks so much!

Brandon M. :

My pleasure. Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please remember to leave a positive rating once you are completely finished. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX care.

Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney