How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A child moves from another state to Georgia and lives there

This answer was rated:

A child moves from another state to Georgia and lives there for several yrs reaching the age of 18 are they still emancipated even though they came from another state
Dear JACUSTOMER - The child would be a legal adult in both GA or NJ but if you are referring to a child support order from NJ which requires support beyond the age of 18 that order would still be in effect. Under the Uniform Child Support Act the state of GA would apply the NJ laws of child support so if you are wanting to terminate child support based on emancipation then you would have to establish that the child is on his or her own and supporting themselves in order to get the support order terminated. The child support would not automatically cease upon turning 18 as it might in GA if the order had been issued in that state.
Dave Kennett and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you