How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27583
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need advice on a potential conflict of interest. I have a

This answer was rated:

I need advice on a potential conflict of interest. I have a mean and abusive ex husband whom I have had legal problems with for years. These legal issues have involved CPS and child custody. I have used one lawyer during the entire course, so he knows the situation well. His current wife is filing for divorce using my lawyer. My lawyer contacted me on her behalf with concerns about my daughters safety and offered to testify to his verbal and emotional abuse of her. She reports that he is currently in a severe manic state and hasn't slept in days. I appreciate her concern and his contacting me, but now I have to take action with the new information. My initial response was to retain my same lawyer again. Is this wise? I can't see a conflict, and he will be the expert on handling issues with this man when it is all done. Should I seek different council at this time?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and concern. If this attorney has represented you over the course of the dispute with your ex, then he is in the best position to represent you from here on out, since he knows the facts of the case and the entire situation. The fact that he is representing your ex husbands soon to be ex wife, does not likely cause a conflict for you at all. Moreover, it is the attorney himself who would need to withdraw and/or inform the parties of the situation, if there was indeed a conflict of interest and he could not properly represent you or her. Speak with the attorney, make sure he is aware of the situation and as long as you feel comfortable with him representing you, then there is no harm, as long as everything is disclosed. If anything, this sounds advantageous to you and your action against him, having someone to testify first hard.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
FamilyAnswer and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions