How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question concerning the divorce that my husband and

This answer was rated:

I have a question concerning the divorce that my husband and I are planning on moving ahead with in MI. My husband and I wish to leave our family home just the way that it is until our youngest child graduates from high school. (in 5 years) My husband will be living in our home with our two children who are both minors. I will be living at another address and I will continue to split all bills concerning our home and children (mortgage, utilities, children's medical, children's dental, children's optical, children's hospital, children's everyday needs)

My question is: Is this too complicated of a divorce settlement to use online? Will we need a lawyer to write out the necessary language for my husband's and my request? Thanks so much for your time

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am working on your answer now and will post it here shortly. Thank you for your patience while I prepare your answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Tina! If you need more information do not hesitate to ask. Katie

You are very welcome, Katie, and thank you.

While can be very helpful in uncontested simple divorces, the circumstances you describe are not the norm and it would typically be best to retain an attorney to draft your separation agreement for you at least, or review one you draft and make necessary revisions.

Family law attorneys have training an experience in drafting such documents which often allows them to address potential problems the spouses may encounter and include them in the separation agreement, which typically prevents the parties from having to return to court for disputes that may arise following the divorce.

In the circumstances you describe, having an attorney address potential problems before they occur will likely save you money in the long run, so I would retain an attorney at least for the purpose of assisting you in drafting the separation agreement you and your spouse will ultimately sign.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Where can my husband and I go to fine a family law attorney in our area? We do not want to spend a lot of money, but yet we will need a qualified attorney to perform the tasks in which you have mentioned.


I do not wish to continue service with Just Answer. Am I now going to be paying for ongoing service or will the $50.00 be the only thing that is billed to my account?


Thanks So Much! Katie

Hello again, Katie.

Here is a link to the state bar association's attorney referral service which can aid you in locating an attorney to represent you.

No, unless you agreed to a subscription with the site, you should not be charged anything beyond the $50 you deposited today. I am just a user of the site like you are though and do not have access to your account, so to confirm details about your account, please contact customer service by using the "help" button on your screen.

You are very welcome and all the best to you and your family! Please remember to rate my service so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. Thank you!


Tina and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.


Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Tina!

Thank you too, Katie. Take care.