How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am married and live in Illinois; my husband and I have been

This answer was rated:

I am married and live in Illinois; my husband and I have been separated for 5 months. He does not pay child support and does not have a job. He somehow has purchased a vehicle and moved again into a new place. I am struggling to make ends meet and pay bills, but can never get money from him to help with our two young kids. I would like to get a divorce but I don't have the money and he will not pay for one. My question is: how can I divorce him without major cost, and also make him start paying child support or go to jail?

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

In which county do you reside?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Cook County

I see. Thank you for clarifying that, Charvonna.

Here is a link to the court's website which provides the forms you would normally need to file to initiate the divorce proceedings:

There is a filing fee, but you would save attorney's fees typically. If your spouse does not respond to the petition, then the court will normally grant whatever relief you have requested in your petition, which should include a request for child support as well as a division of marital assets and alimony if appropriate.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Tina and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.


Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again.