How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29973
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-wife recently received a Stipulation and Order for termination

Customer Question

My ex-wife recently received a Stipulation and Order for termination of child support, due to our son aging out. The signature panel for her to sign lists her name as it was when we were married, that is her first name, my last name. She has remarried and now goes by her husband's last name. She is refusing to sign, claiming she can't because the name is XXXXX XXXXX My question is: can she sign the document with her former married name, or does the document need to be revised to her current legal name? ... if so, does something like "formerly known as" need to be added?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

My name is Lucy and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The document should have her current legal name, to ensure that it's valid, in the part where she signs. It can also reference her prior name. For example, if Jane Doe divorces and remarries John Smith, she could put Jane Smith née Doe.

The part of the document that has the names of the parties would include the names the way they were at the time of the divorce, so the records match and to avoid confusion.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

to be clear....

My ex-wife, now remarried, goes by Pamela Crook, Crook is her new husband's last name. The paperwork refers to her as "Pamela Warrick", (my last name).


I should change the signature panel for this stipulation to read:

"Pamela Crook nee Warrick". The "nee" is referring not to her maiden name, but her former married name.... this is customary and acceptable in California family court?


Is that correct?


Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Nee is acceptable to refer to any prior name. It is commonly used to refer to maiden names, but that's not the only usage. If you're not comfortable using "nee" you can put "formerly known as".

Related Family Law Questions