How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Seattle Scott Your Own Question
Seattle Scott
Seattle Scott, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 961
Experience:  I have 25 years experience as a Washington State Family Law Attorney.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Seattle Scott is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I found out yesterday that my husband of 15yrs is actually

Customer Question

I found out yesterday that my husband of 15yrs is actually married to someone else. He never divorced his previous wife. From what I have been told our marriage is void, since he legally couldn't marry. I need to know what my last name is XXXXX XXXXX I need to change the my name of ss card, driver license and etc?
Catherine ?????
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is Tina and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Learning that your husband is still married to someone else must be quite a shock to you. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Does your husband intend to divorce his wife and do you intend to marry him once the divorce is final?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is planning on getting a divorce. Not sure if we will remarry

Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
I see. Thank you for clarifying that, Catherine.

Assuming your marriage was otherwise valid, the marriage certificate held by the state would indicate that you are married, so it would typically be presumed valid until a court order is entered annulling your marriage.

You could obtain an annulment since your husband was already married to someone else when you married and in that proceeding you would typically request that the court include in the order that you revert to your maiden name. That court order would then be used to change your driver's license, social security card and other forms of identification typically.

The marriage is void since your husband was already married, but you would normally need a court order declaring that it is void by filing a petition to annul the marriage. Until then, you would continue to use your married surname normally.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer was helpful in clarifying your understanding of the law even though it may not have resulted in the outcome you were hoping it would.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile:

Thank you very much and all the best to you.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i am sorry but the infirmation you gave me is wrong in this state.

Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello again, Catherine.

I am interested in knowing about any errors or incorrect information that I may have provided. I strive to provide every customer with excellent service and it concerns me if anything I said may have been inaccurate. It is rare that the information is wrong, but if I was mistaken in some way, it would be helpful to know how the mistake occurred. I'd greatly appreciate any insights you have on this.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I went to a local attorney. He has to get a regular divorce, our marriage is void and I do have to go back to my maiden name. Sorry, but you werr wrong across the board.

Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello again, Catherine. I agree that your "husband" must get a divorce from his first wife and I indicated above that your marriage is void, but it usually requires a declaration from a court that your marriage is void since the marriage certificate on file with the state will typically be presumed valid until a court states that it is void.
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
I will opt out Catherine. Good luck to you.
Expert:  Seattle Scott replied 4 years ago.
I take it your question was answered by a local attorney, though I do not share in his/her opinion.

If you need any further information from the Experts here, let us know.