How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have sole custody of my 15 year old daughter and receive

This answer was rated:

I have sole custody of my 15 year old daughter and receive monthly child support. Her father now lives in Israel and we are arranging for my daughter to spend 10 months (sophomore year) abroad with her father and his family.

He insists that I reimburse him for the full child support while she is living with him. Is this reasonable? It seems that there are certain fixed costs for maintaining a household here and other considerations.

I also have never asked for reimbursement of out of pocket uninsured medical/dental expenses over the years and our agreement says he is to reimburse 90% of those out of pocket uninsured expenses - can I seek reimbursement even is the expenses were incurred several years ago?
Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Actually, not, it is not reasonable that he cease all child support---or have you reimburse him for all child support during this time. You are not modifying legal custody of your daughter here which would make a difference.

Instead you are allowing him to have a greater period of visitation. You still must pay to maintain the home that you and your daughter live in, and the things that you are not going to have to cover---food and perhaps some clothes---are about the extent of his out of pocket costs.

You might extend an olive branch and agree to reimburse some portion of the child support if you want to be noble---or you can tell him that you won' reimburse any of the support, and that it is his choice to have her with him longer than usual, not yours.

And yes, you can seek reimbursement of the 90% of unpaid expensed owed by him, even from years ago. You would do that by filing a Motion for Contempt and Enforcement against him.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,

LawTalk and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.