How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29969
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been a housewife for 12 years. But have been married

This answer was rated:

I have been a housewife for 12 years. But have been married since 1991. My husband has been playing head games with me and lying about everything he has been doing since 2008. We have 2 sons who have Autism. one is 19 and one is almost 12. How should this be handled? Thank You

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Your question was posted in the Family Law section. Are you looking for information on how to save the relationship, or are you wondering about how to file for divorce?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Divorce. And found out he has spread his money into different bank accounts.his sister has helped him open an account through the bank she works for. and has his mistress a bank account also. Economic abuse and Emotional abuse. he uses his credit card and though my name is XXXXX XXXXX bank statement heading I have no right to open the envelope to look at the bank statement. 401K and a few other accounts spread out He keeps me out of his bill corner But I found the account where he bought her and him a phone the same day. And here I sit with a messed up 35.00 phone. good to the kids to head games with me. will buy me I call them guilt gifts but to proud to confess as if he is clean. I watched body language around the him people he use to work with/ talks up close to people 1 on one about me. manipulation to have all look at me badly.. but its really him. Its crazy but thank you for your time. Yes it should be a movie.

Thank you for clarifying.

Initially, I just want to point out that you are incorrect in saying that you have no right to open bank statements. if your name is XXXXX XXXXX account, you have as much right to open statements and read them as he does. You also have a right to set up an online profile, log in, and download past statements so you can see exactly what is going on with your money. Make no mistake - regardless of who is depositing the money in that account, if your name is XXXXX XXXXX it's still your money. You have a right to withdraw it or to know where it's going. Make copies of everything - you may need it for court. Download and save documents and store them in a safe place.

In a divorce, each spouse is entitled to roughly 1/2 of all marital assets. If he's hiding money, you're still entitled to half of it if you can show where it's going. It doesn't matter if he's opening accounts that aren't in your name - you are still entitled to half the money. That also includes half of any retirement accounts, savings accounts, cars, etc. if he is spending money on a mistress, you can ask the judge to order him to repay the marital estate for monies spent on her, which could mean you would end up with more than half. In a situation where a spouse gives up a career to raise marital children, you will likely be entitled to spousal support, at least for a few years until you have time to get back on your feet.

The parent who retains custody of the children has a right to seek child support. As the primary caregiver, you will likely be able to get ongoing custody. Child support may continue for your children if they are disabled to the point that they are unable to support themselves. It's also likely that a judge would allow you to remain in the marital home with the children if you have custody.

The court has all of the forms you need to initiate a divorce available online. You are not required to have a lawyer file them for you. Here are the forms and instructions.

However, if your husband has substantial assets that he is keeping from you, it may be possible to get the judge to order that he help pay for your attorney's fees. A local attorney may be willing to draft that motion for you, with the agreement that he is paid after you get the money from your husband.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Lucy,I'm sorry it took me a couple of days to get back in touch with you Your answers are very on spot. What i'm doing right now will be making a copy of all this information in a hour. My Father will be making a pop up visit soon. If I have anymore questions I will be back. May You Have a Safe 4th of July. Very Greatfull~ Monique

Related Family Law Questions