How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Madame or Sirs, I have been married to an active duty

This answer was rated:

Dear Madame or Sirs,

I have been married to an active duty (air force) since 31.05.1996. I am a Flight Attendant with United Airlines. Making 1,574 Dollars a month.

My husband ( Cornel in the US Air Force)has filled for divorce while in Afghanistan. The final court hearing is on the 28th of June. Alexandria VA court. I have not yet got a lawyer thinking that he would change his mind after retuning from Afghanistan. However, I have asked to court to delay this since I do not have a representative to protect my rights.

He is determent to go with it, telling me he has a new interest (since 1 1/2 ) and that he would like to start his live over with... I have asked him to get a marriage consul and he refused...

He has send me a stipulation agreement. I could email it to you to see if what he is offering me is fair... I really would like to know my rights and if have been treated fairly

Best Regards.
Mrs Burgess

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

I am sorry that you are going through this matter.


We cannot review full documents in that manner because we give information and guidance and such a review is considered giving legal advice which is against this website's Terms of Service


However, if you have specific questions I can provide information to you for, you can ask them


For instance, if there is a provision about spousal support - or division of assets


You can let me know what that is


How long have you been married?


Also, if you would like to find a local attorney in your area to review for you I can provide that information

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Madame or Sirs,


Thank you for your fast reply. I am married for 17 Years.


What are my provision for spousal support?


What is going to happen on the 28th of June 2013, in the final court hearing, since I have not agreed to anything, yet?


How do I find a local attorney, since I live in Germany and have also an address in Washington DC. or Virginia.


Is it to late to get my rights?


What are my rights?


Best Regards,

Mrs Burgess



Thank you for your follow up questions


1 - If you have never worked, are not able to work, have no skills, etc then your support is going to be higher and permanent. But if you are able to work, have worked, are employed then your support will be less and generally granted on a temporary basis until you can get better employment.


So if the Stipulation is granting you anything in the way of support for a permanent basis, I suggest that is a good thing


Support is always based on the need of one party and the ability to pay it by the other. There are no specific guidelines for spousal support as there is child support.


However, you may click onto this link for the VA Code that governs Spousal Support

2 - I thought you had said you requested a postponement so you could get legal counsel. If you have not agreed to anything, then I suggest that you will want to be at the hearing or have local counsel there for you or the requests made by your spouse could be granted in default of a non response and non appearance.


3 - I suggest that you can use the VA Bar Association for a legal referral service
1-800-552-7977 and consider having a local attorney assist you - and they can file the proper information to have this matter postponed for you.


It is not too late to have a VA Attorney assist you and make sure that all your rights are covered. If you have been married 17 years, you want to be sure that you are properly represented in any pension that your spouse may be entitled to. Additionally, your share of any joint assets. There is a lot to be considered and that is why I suggest you consider having a local VA attorney to assist you

Samuel II and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Madame or Sirs,


can you give me a divorce lawyer in Alexandria VA. How is pro marriage and pro military spouse.


Best Regards

Mrs. Burgess



I suggest that you can use the VA Bar Association for a legal referral service


If you call that number, they will help put you in touch with a VA attorney in good standing. And you can tell them you want an attorney in family law familiar with military spouses.

Thank you and good luck with everything

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just talked to my husband. and he is telling me that if I do not sign the stipulation agreement before the final court hearing that he would loose certain amount of money. on taxes...


he really wants me to sign the agreement saying is the best for me. I really used trust him with everything. However, I feel pressured to sign something wich could be to my best.


Is he right that he would loose taxes on the amount of agreement if I do not sign it before the court date?


Thank you for that follow up.

However, I honestly cannot answer or give you information in that regard because I dont know what the Stipulation Agreement says.

I suggest this is why you want to consult with a local attorney. You can fax them the stipulation and they can advise you. As I stated, I can only provide general information