Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

What are the methods children of age 5 are allowed to testify

What are the methods children of age 9 are allowed to testify in a court case?

texlawyer :

Good evening. I'll be glad to assist you with your question.

texlawyer :

There are several ways in which a very young minor, like a 5 year old, can testify in a court case, but first you will have to demonstrate a need and a reason the child cannot testify normally.

texlawyer :

Usually, that is because the child, for one reason for another, the child will be intimidated in the courtroom and unable to answer questions.

texlawyer :

If you can demonstrate a need, the judge can authorize testimony via closed circuit television, where the child is in a more comfortable room, but the judge can (and jury, if there is one) can still see them.

texlawyer :

Another option is for the parties to tape a deposition and agree to allow that to be admitted as evidence and played to the judge.

texlawyer :

Lastly, the judge has the option of clearing the courtroom under extraordinary circumstances.

texlawyer :

Hello. Are you still there?

Hello. I see that you gave a negative rating. I just wanted to see what I could do to further assist you and improve your satisfaction. Also, if you were unable to see my answer previously, you should be able to see it above now.