How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Once a plaintiffs lawyer files a complaint and Defendant lawyer

Customer Question

Once a plaintiff's lawyer files a complaint and Defendant lawyer responds can plaintiff fire original lawyer and hire another AND can the new plaintiff lawyer "take" the case and proceed/ go forward? OR does the newly retained plaintiff's attorney have to begin the process of filing a completely new Complaint all over again?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am working on your answer now and will post it here shortly. Thank you for your patience while I prepare your answer.

Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.

Hello again, Aida.

The new attorney is not required to file a new complaint, they can typically pick up where the former attorney left off after the new attorney files an "entry of appearance" indicating to the court that they are now representing you.

The new attorney may need additional time to become familiar with the case and request that the court grant a continuance of any hearings that are scheduled in the near future. Otherwise, they would typically proceed from the point the former attorney/firm left off.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello again Aida,
I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer was helpful in clarifying your understanding of the law even though it may not have resulted in the outcome you were hoping it would.
Is there anything else I can assist you with?
If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile:
Thank you very much and all the best to you.

Related Family Law Questions