How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyCBradford Your Own Question
AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 643
Experience:  Criminal Defense and Family Law Attorney serving California Statewide
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttyCBradford is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1) My daughter turned 18 and graduated high school and my ex

This answer was rated:

1) My daughter turned 18 and graduated high school and my ex won't sign the stipulation to change the child support. (We have two other kids that I'm still obliged to pay for.) Can I stop paying my daughter's child support without going to court?

2) My alimony obligation is also ending after 5 years, but I pay the full mortgage in lieu of actual alimony. Can I stop paying alimony (or that portion of the mortgage) without changing the divorce decree?

3) Is there any precedence for child support beyond 18 in Nevada? I have been researching laws and can find none, but my ex seems to want it to continue.

We live in Nevada

AttyCBradford :

Hello! I would be glad to assist you with this question. First, in the state of Nevada the age of majority is defined as is 18; or up to a maximum age of 19, if a student is enrolled in, but has not yet completed high school for the purposes of child support. This is found in the Nevada Statutes NRS 129.010, 125.510, 125B.110 and 425.300. You generally cannot just stop paying support unless the order for child support states so. For instance, generally it says something along the lines of .... Payor is obligated to pay child support for X child in the amount of X until that dies reaches the age of majority, or is 19 and in high school, married or dies....etc. If this language is in your child support order you can cease payments. However, I would still advise getting a court order.

AttyCBradford :

As for your alimony payments, again, it should be set out in the Court order as to the termination date. If there is a termination date then effective that date you can stop payments otherwise you should ask for a court order

AttyCBradford :

The only way the child support would continue for your daughter was if she was still in high school which she is not, therefore there are no grounds for it to continue as to that child.

AttyCBradford :

if I have answered all of your questions please press accept and provide positive feedback so I will get credit for assisting you. PLEASE NOTE: this is a PAID answering service and we only receive credit for assisting you if you accept the answer. If you are not satisfied and need additional assistance, please ask before providing negative feedback and I would be glad to assist you further. Sometimes I am working with more than one customer at a time so please allow a chance to respond. Thank you and I wish you the best in your situation! I strongly suggest that you consult with a local attorney in your area on this matter. This information is provided for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice nor has an attorney-client relationship been formed.

AttyCBradford and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you