How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27637
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My children are 21 and 23. Their father never paid his ordered

This answer was rated:

My children are 21 and 23. Their father never paid his ordered child support. Is there a statute of limitations in Maine for collection of back child support? He refuses to even help them with their education.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. In Maine, there is no statute of limitations of enforcement of child support orders. But payment is presumed after a period of 20 years. As such, if there was a court order in place then he had a legal obligation to pay. You could still go after him at this time to enforce it and would likely be able to obtain interest and others fees/ costs associated with it. If he refuses to pay on his own it can be enforced through garnishment and the State can go after his wages or other assets to satisfy the amount owed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Am I the one that has to prove he didn't pay or does he have to provide proof that he did pay?

The burden would be on him to show he paid, once you allege and state in your complaint that he has failed to do so as ordered by the court.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would I need to process this through the court system or through the Dept. of Human Services. I never used any of their services or collected any money through them.

You could start with the State and allow them to help. Here is the link to their site to start the process and you should call wand speak with them ahead of time to advise them of the situation. If needed, they can direct you to the court if their service is outside the scope of what you need.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You are certain that this is the Maine law and that I can pursue this?

Yes. If there was a statute of limitations in Maine, a parent could just wait, not pay and avoid their parental and legal obligation to pay. He can not benefit from his own wrong doing and you 100% at this time have a legal right to enforce and collect past due child support which was court ordered.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for your help!

You are very welcome. If you have not already, please remember to rate my help with 3,4 or 5 faces so I can get credit for my answer. Thank you and best of luck.
FamilyAnswer and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you