Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

If I marry a divorced man who is paying spousal support and

If I marry a divorced man who is paying spousal support and child support, could the ex wife take him back to family court for an increase in support payments based on my income? Would you advise getting a secret marriage so that my assets may be protected?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

If I marry a divorced man who is paying spousal support and child support, could the ex wife take him back to family court for an increase in support payments based on my income?
No. Only the divorce man's assets and income would be considered for purposes of child's board and spousal support. A new spouse is not liable for the spousal or child support of her new husband.

Would you advise getting a secret marriage so that my assets may be protected?
No. You may want to consider protecting your assets with a prenuptial agreement. A prenuptial agreement could clearly divide your assets from those of your husband to be thereby avoiding the potential of a claim to your assets.

I would be glad to respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Hi Nicole,

Have I answered your question or may I assist you further?

Thank you very much for the "excellent service" rating.

If I can be of assistance in the future, begin your question with: "For FiveStarLaw"

To directly route your question to me you can use this link ::
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-fivestarlaw/

Still put "For FiveStarLaw" at the beginning of the question.

It has been my pleasure to work with you. I look forward to working with you again in the future