Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can I get half of the house if I have only been married four

years in texas...
Can I get half of the house if I have only been married four years in texas
6/20/2013
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Texas is a community property state. This means that regardless of whether or not you are on the deed, you:

1) Will get half the house if it was purchased during the marriage; but
2) Will not get half the house if it was purchased by the other party before marriage, or;
3) Will not get half the house if it was purchased during marriage but by money inherited or owned by the other party before marriage.

Of course the home cannot be "split." Either one party will get the home and the other half of its value from the rest of the estate, or, if neither party wants the home, it would be ordered sold and proceeds split.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely, Counselor at Law

Do you practice in Houston, I see you have varied expertise in which I need? PI immigration, etc....

Hello Marie,

Thank you for your follow up. I am afraid that JustAnswer experts are not allowed to state where they are, actually. I can tell you that I am Texas-licensed. And yes, I do practice family law. But we are not allowed to take customers on as clients, and as such, cannot solicit business off this site or communicate off this site.

I hope this clarifies. If you need anything else, simply use the REPLY button.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Ely, Counselor at Law