Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Ely, What is the difference (legally) between a therapist,

Ely,

What is the difference (legally) between a therapist, LPC-I, and a Psychotherapist? And is there any issue with representing yourself as a Psychotherapist?
Happy Friday, friend!

A "therapist" is simply a generic term for any type of therapy-related occupation, be it psychotherapist, psychologist, physician focusing on disorders, or school counselor. So this is a generic term, simply.

LPC-I is defined under Texas Health and Safety Code, Chapter 611, and is known as an LPC Intern license, for a "licensed professional counselor intern." This is a is an internship license for mental health professionals.

Psychotherapist - A psychotherapist has at least a master's degree (M.A., M.S., M.Ed., or M.S.W.), and some psychotherapists also have doctorates.

LPCs and psychotherapists are simply two versions of medical therapy-related occupations.

And is there any issue with representing yourself as a Psychotherapist?

No, provided that you have the requisite education and licensure to back this up.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.